In recent years, establishing the wind potential at a location with the LiDAR technology has become an alternative to measuring masts and found its way into common technical standards.
LiDAR systems use the Doppler Effect. Pulses of light emitted by a laser beam, are reflected by the smallest particles (aerosols) and absorbed again by the meter. From the duration of the light pulse and the frequency change, the so-called Doppler shift, wind speed and wind direction at different heights can be determined.
The technology required is integrated into compact, reliable devices. Thus, reliable measurements of wind speed, wind direction, turbulence and vertical wind profile are also possible in difficult terrain with large height differences.
The compactness of a LiDAR unit and the lack of mechanical anemometer offer a number of advantages over a conventional measurement with a mast:
- No mast
- No building permit
- Little space requirement and easy installation, even in difficult terrain
- Easy change of position on site
- When used in the forest only small clearing required for installation
- High data availability even under difficult climatic conditions
- Quality results between 40 and 200m height
The high quality standard of LiDAR measurements has been reflected by the entrance in the usual standards. LiDAR measurements have become an accepted method according to FGW Guideline TR 6, Rev. 9. For the power curve measurement LiDAR will be the future standard.
Therefore, the use of LiDAR unit lends itself to many applications, such as:
- Stand-alone wind measurements
- Wind measurements in addition to measuring mast / reference plants
- Height profiling
- Short measurement campaigns for site pre-assessment
- Measurement of the power curve
- Optimization of operation of individual areas and parks
renerco plan consult offers you a wide range of services in connection with the LiDAR technology:
- LiDAR measurements with validated modern appliances, comprehensive warranty, theft and insurance coverage
- Autonomous power supply at the measuring location
- Monitoring of measurement
- Data transfer with GSM
- Quality control, data processing and measurement reports
- Creation of wind and yield assessments
- Location Classification
- Power curve measurement
- Operational optimization of existing facilities and parks